Sometimes walking can actually be the easiest and quickest way to get around (particularly in the city centre). It is also good for your health and is free. Walking directions can be accessed on the Walk It website:
To find out more about the rules for pedestrians in the UK you should read the Highway Code. Pedestrian is the name given to road users who are walking. The Highway Code is the national set of rules and advice for all road users which is available on the GOV.UK website:
Here are a few tips:
- Try to use safe crossing places such as Zebra or Pelican crossings, footbridges over the road or islands.
- Use the Green Cross Code for more advice to help you cross the road safely. Pedestrian Safety
- Remember traffic drives on the left in the UK.
- Do not try to cross the road while looking at your mobile phone.
- It is a good idea to wear hi-visibility or reflective clothing to help you be seen, especially in bad weather or at night.