New to Leeds was developed by Touchstone and Leeds Asylum Seekers’ Support Network (LASSN) as part of the Migrant Access Project Plus (MAP+) commissioned by Leeds City Council in 2017. MAP+ also resourced another website aimed at new refugees called transitionguide.org.uk, which closed in December 2022.
New to Leeds exists to help new migrants to Leeds to find their way around, and to help them to understand how to access support. It was was completely revised and updated by Julia Guisely from LASSN in November 2022.
Please note: this website does not provide immigration advice. For immigration advice, you need to speak to a trained adviser who is registered with OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner). For more information on getting immigration advice, click here.
Thank you to the following for their help in developing this website:
Getachew Obse, Nyima Badjie Beyai, Alena Strniskova, Zaki Samwiil, Diana, Hussein
and colleagues from
- Public Health Leeds, Leeds City Council
- Communities and Environment, Leeds City Council
- Tenant Information Housing, Leeds City Council
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Leeds Food Aid Network
- Leeds Safeguarding Adults Strategy Unit
- NHS Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group
- aspire-igen & National Careers Service
- Ingram Road Primary School