What you need to know

You must leave your NASS accommodation within 28 days.

You must start looking for somewhere to live as soon as you receive your decision letter.

Go to Leeds Housing Options and request a Homelessness Assessment as soon as possible.

A homeless assessment will help the Council determine what help they can offer you to find a house.

Where you need to go


Housing Options: Merrion House, 110 Woodhouse Lane, Leeds LS2 8BB

(Open 9am to 4pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; Tuesday 10am to 4pm)


Leeds Housing Options website is full of helpful information

Shelter also offer independent Housing Advice but you will still need to register for accommodation in person.

By phone

You can telephone Leeds Council for Homelessness and Housing Advice:
0113 222 4412

What you need to take with you

What will Housing Options offer?

The help on offer depends on your circumstances, but this help could include

Getting extra support to find a house

Refugee Employment Training Advice Service (RETAS) can offer extra help to find a private house.


0113 380 5630
Email: [email protected]

Other things to think about

  • It is unlikely that you will find a council house quickly. Refugees generally are not given extra priority (Band A) to get a council house just because they are refugees.
  • Housing Advice will tell you about renting from private Landlords.
  • Realistically, if you are a single person, and the Council assessment says you have no significant mental or physical health needs affecting your housing, you must consider finding a room in a shared house.
  • If you have a disability or need a house to be adapted to your needs, make sure you tell the Homeless Officer.
  • You may be eligible for an Integration Loan to cover the costs of a deposit for privately rented accommodation and essential items for the house

Where you need to go:

In person:

Leeds Citizens Advice Bureau
(City Centre): Oxford House, Oxford Row, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 3BE
(North Leeds): Willow House, New Roscoe Buildings, Cross Francis St, LS7 4BZ


You can use the UK.GOV’s webpage to find advisers in Leeds and check what level they are qualified to. You should also check if they charge a fee.

Citizens Advice Leeds, or find an Immigration Adviser here Gov.uk.

By phone

You can telephone Leeds Citizens Advice:
0808 2 78 78 78, 9am – 5pm.

What you need to take with you:
Your official documents (including your BRP)

Last Updated: 20 June 2024

Print Friendly, PDF & Email