If you are over 18 and want to develop your work skills, get a qualification, or learn something new, there are lots of learning courses you can do in Leeds.

Courses run in many different subjects including health and wellbeing, English and maths, arts and crafts, computers, business and more. There are venues across the city, including local neighbourhoods.

Find out what and where you can study

The Leeds Adult Learning website allows you to search by location or the subject you want to study. It includes courses offered by colleges and other education providers.

Leeds Adult Learning

Some courses may be free of charge, others may charge course fees, depending on your circumstances.

You can also use the National Careers Service website, which includes a search tool to look for training courses for different areas of work. It is a national website run by the government. You can use a search tool to look for courses in Leeds. It also includes guidance to help you look for work.

National Careers Service

The Jobcentre Plus can offer you free training for up to 6 weeks in different industries or areas of work. You can speak to a work coach about this. You can access the training if you are receiving certain benefits – Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.

Find out more about Jobcentre Plus and other places you can go to get help looking for employment:
Jobcentre Plus online contact form.

Apprenticeships allow you to work, get paid a wage and study for a qualification at the same time. You can study an apprenticeship at any age. Find out more here.

Universities offer Higher Education courses (BA Hons and BSc Hons Degrees) and professional qualifications. Students of all ages can apply, if they have the right qualifications. There are several universities in Leeds and also smaller colleges offering Higher Education. Find out more here.

Community Interpreter courses offer the opportunity to develop skills and gain a qualification to become an interpreter in your first language. Find out more here:

Community Interpreter Courses

How to find out if your qualifications are recognised in the UK

If you have qualifications from your home country, you can find out if they are recognised in the UK through an organisation called UK ENIC. You may need to find this out if you need to prove your qualifications for a job or applying to study a new UK qualification.

UK ENIC is the UK national agency that compares international qualifications and skills and can provide the official document (Statement of Comparability) you need to get them recognised in the UK.

There is a fee that currently starts at around £50. If you need translations, some languages are free of charge and for some, you may have to pay extra.


Last Updated: 28 May 2024

Print Friendly, PDF & Email