If you have a concern or idea about a local issue, there are different ways you can have your say:

Community Committees

There are 10 community committees in different areas of Leeds. They hold regular meetings, and a local councillor will always attend. You can go to the meetings to have your say about local issues and find out about funding that may be available for running activities.

Find out more from the Leeds City Council website:

Find Your Community Committee

Your councillors

Every neighbourhood has its own councillors. It is their job to represent your local community and you can contact them if you have concerns or questions about your local area or your own personal situation, for example about transport, local services, housing.

You can usually get in touch with your local councillors by email or phone. Or you can go to ‘surgeries’, where you can speak to them face-to-face.

You can find your local councillors on the Leeds City Council website:

Find Your Local Councillor

Your Member of Parliament (MP)

There are 8 MPs – each one for a different area of Leeds (called a constituency).

It is their job to take part in debates in Parliament, vote on laws and represent the people living in their constituency.

You can also ask your MP for advice if you have problems, for example, with benefits, immigration, tax.

You can find out who your MP is on the Parliament UK website:

Find Your MP

You can find their contact details on the Leeds City Council website.

Find the Contact Details of Your MP


One of the most important ways you can have your say is by voting in elections. Be aware, you are only allowed to vote if you are over 18 and one of the following:

  • a British citizen
  • a qualifying Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK
  • an EU citizen resident in the UK

If you are a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, you can vote in all UK elections including the General Election and local elections.

If you are an EU citizen, you can only vote in local elections and European elections.

Find out more about the rights of different migrants living in the UK to vote on The Electoral Commission website:

Who Can Register to Vote?

Registering to vote

You cannot vote without registering first. You only need to register once, unless you change address. Registering to vote has other benefits too – for example, it could help you get a mortgage to buy a house or get a loan.

You need a National Insurance number to register.

You can check if you are already registered by emailing Leeds City Council:

[email protected]

You can register online on the GOV.UK website

Register to Vote

Or by post by downloading this form:

Download a Voter Registration Form

You need to send the form to:

Electoral Registration Officer, Electoral Services, PO Box 898, Leeds, LS1 9UT

Last Updated: 28 May 2024

Print Friendly, PDF & Email