What you need to know

The Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is an official form of identity and proves that you have the right to live and work in the UK.

You can use your BRP to confirm your:

  • identity
  • right to study or work in the UK
  • right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

Your Biometric Residency Permit will include:

  • your name, date and place of birth
  • National Insurance Number (sometimes called a NINo)
  • your fingerprints and a photo of your face (this is your biometric information)
  • your immigration status and any conditions of your stay
  • information on whether you can access certain services called public funds, such as benefits and health services (NHS).

The permit is not a travel document, so you cannot use your permit to travel to different countries.

When you receive your Biometric Residence Permit, you must check that all its information is accurate.

If it is not, you should tell the Home Office about any mistakes within ten working days. If you do not tell them, you may have to re-apply and pay for another Biometric Residency Card.

Visit https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/report-problem to find out how you can report the mistake.

You must tell the Home office if anything mentioned on your card changes – for example if you change your name, your gender or your appearance. You must tell them within 3 months of the change.

Visit https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp to tell the Home Office if something has changed.

Lost or stolen Biometric Residency Cards must be reported immediately to the Police and the Home Office if the permit has been valid for more than three months.

If you do not apply for a replacement within 3 months, you can be fined up to £1000.

Visit https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/lost-stolen-damaged for more information on lost or stolen cards.

Your Biometric Residence Permit is only valid for a certain time (usually five years). Ensure you know when your permit expires and that you apply for further leave to remain or settlement before your leave expires.

If you do not extend your leave or obtain settlement, you risk becoming an ‘over-stayer’ and could be detained and removed from the UK.

Last Updated: 18 June 2024

Print Friendly, PDF & Email