Some landlords may include some of your bills in the rent. If your landlord does not do this, you will need to set up your utility bills when you move into your accommodation. This includes gas, electricity and water.

Finding out your current energy supplier

Your accommodation will usually already have a supplier, which has been supplying gas and electricity to the person who lived there before you. You may be able to find out who this is by asking your landlord or letting agent, or you may receive a letter from the supplier after you move in.

Or you can use the uSwitch website to find helpline numbers you can phone to find out.

Who Supplies My Gas and Electricity

Changing energy supplier

You don’t need to stay with the same supplier. You can choose to look around for a new or cheaper supplier.

Money Buddies is a free service which can also help you switch energy suppliers, as well as any other money problems you may be experiencing. They have several Money Buddy centres across the Leeds area:

0113 2350276
Leeds Money Buddies (online chat also available)

Or you can switch suppliers online using comparison sites. Websites which have been recommended for comparing suppliers include:

Money Supermarket
Energy Helpline

You can find more here:

Compare gas and electricity tariffs: Ofgem-accredited price comparison sites

Paying your energy bill

You can usually either pay your bills monthly, or every three months. You can sometimes get cheaper bills if you pay by Direct Debit.

Some accommodation has a prepayment meter instead. This means you pay for your energy before you use it, either with a card or key which you ‘top up’ with credit (a bit like pay as you go phones). Every time you use energy, you use some credit.

Prepayment meters can be useful because they can help you control what you spend more easily, but they can also be expensive if you use a lot of energy.

If you are struggling to pay your energy bill

If you don’t pay your bills on time, your energy supplier may cut off your gas or electricity, so it is important to ask for help if you are struggling.

If you get into debt with your energy bills, you must pay this debt as a priority. This means it is more important than paying debts like credit cards.

You should speak to your energy supplier or see an adviser at Citizens Advice Leeds. Both can help you find ways to pay off the debt:

Oxford House, Oxford Row, Leeds, LS1 3BE

Face-to-face services are now open 9am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday. After 1pm they are open for booked appointments only. Tuesdays and Thursdays are for booked appointments only.

0808 278 7878 9am – 5pm Monday-Friday
Citizens Advice Leeds

You can also visit the Leeds Money Information Centre website and the national Money Helper website for online advice:

Leeds Money Information Centre
Money Helper


Yorkshire Water is the water supplier for Leeds and unlike gas and electricity you cannot switch suppliers. But you do still need to set up an account when you move in. If your new property has a water meter, it is worth taking a reading and passing it on to the supplier as soon as you can, to make sure you only pay for what you owe.

You can set up your account by contacting Yorkshire Water:

0345 1 24 24 24
Yorkshire Water

Here are some helpful tips to save money on water bills

Save Money on Your Water Bill

TV Licence

If you have a TV or watch BBC iPlayer on any device including a computer, tablet or mobile you’ll need to have a TV licence. You can find out the cost and ways to pay online.

Ways to pay for your TV Licence

Telephone & internet

If you want broadband internet, and to make phone calls using a landline, you’ll need an active phone line. If your accommodation is not set up with one already, there are several suppliers you can choose from. It is a good idea to look around to find one offering the best deal for you.

You will need to pay for the line to be installed and you will also need to pay for a package that offers you broadband and/or phone calls. These are usually paid for monthly.

Setting up a phone line
Choosing a broadband provider

BT Home Essentials – If you are claiming Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Pension Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit, you might be entitled to a BT Basic low-cost phone and broadband package.

A phone and broadband package costs around £15 per month.

Find out more about BT Essentials:

BT Home Essentials

Last Updated: 28 May 2024

Print Friendly, PDF & Email