Council housing is run by the local authority (Leeds City Council) and provides homes across Leeds that aims to be affordable to rent for people on low incomes. Be aware, there are lots of people waiting for council housing and there is no guarantee you will be successful if you apply.

Who can apply

Not all migrants arriving in Leeds are allowed to apply for council housing. The rules are complicated and can change, so it is best to check with a trained adviser from Leeds City Council or Leeds Citizens Advice Bureau. See below for details. However here is a current summary:

If you are from an EU country:

  • If you are working and have been living in the UK for five years you can usually apply
  • If you are newer to the UK you may be asked to do a ‘Habitual Residence Test’ to find out if you can apply

If you are from outside the EU:

  • If you have permanent residence or ‘indefinite leave to remain’ you can apply
  • If you have refugee status you can also apply

How to apply

  • You need to be a member of the Leeds Homes Register before you can apply for council housing. To register, go to and click on ‘How to register’ for a form. If you need help filling the form out or a translation, you can get help from your local One Stop centre or Community Hub.
  • If you apply you will be assessed by the Council and put on a waiting list.
  • The Council will look at your circumstances to decide how high your need is. People with the highest need will be given a Band A priority and they are given first priority for housing.
  • Every week the council shares a list of housing available and you can bid for the ones you like. If more than one person wants the same house, it will be given to the person who has been waiting the longest and who has the highest priority banding.

Be aware, you can wait a long time for council housing. Even people with Band A often wait between 6 months and a year for permanent housing.

Single people over 18 who are not assessed as being “in need” will not usually be offered Council housing.

Find out more

You can find out more about council housing on the Leeds City Council website:

Applying for a Council House

Help with your application

Your local One Stop Centre or Housing Office can help you apply.

Find your local housing office here:

Find Your Local Housing Office

Find your local One Stop centre here:

Find Your Local One Stop Centre

You can also apply directly with the Housing Leeds Team

0113 222 4413 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)

[email protected]

or download a copy of the application form

Download the Application Form

What you need to take with you

To complete the application, you must take your completed membership form and proof of identity to a Housing office or One stop centre to be checked, copied and returned to you. You must also provide evidence of ID and address for everyone that lives in your household including children under 16. You can find out what documents you need to provide evidence here:

Find Out What Documents You Can Provide

Last Updated: 13 May 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email